Monday, March 19

she is getting bigger

We moved into the Ronald McDonald house last Wed. It is really great to be so close to the hospital and things at the house are well organized and really designed to support families with hospitalized children.

Today we had the growth ultrasound. The great news is that she is growing! Our last measurement here (2 weeks ago) put her at 4 lbs 5 oz (1.9 kg). Today she measured 5 lbs 4 oz (2.4 kg)! The OB says she is in the 5-10 percentile range for weight.

When we met with Dr. Hanley (surgeon) he said that the survival rate is much greater for babies above 2 kg, below this they have a harder time recovering from surgery. So, we are very, very happy with her growth since this puts her above the 2kg mark...hopefully she will keep growing. Kenia will diligently continue eating for two including twice the amount of ice cream.

Now the plan is to wait till next week. According to our OB, waiting the additional week also has the added benefit (besides growth potential) of allowing her immune system to mature even further. So, we are looking at an induction next week unless she decides to come on her own.

8 comments:

Clare Jane said...

So glad to hear the good news. It must be hard eating all that ice cream - wish we could be there to keep you company with that!

love,
Clare and Kangaroo xo

P.S. Rich says he is trying to determine if Theo's spirit animal is a puppy or a hippopotamus. Very different, I know, but you can make a lot of nicknames off "hippopotamus": snuggle-potamus, snot-opotamus, drool-opotamus, poop-opotamus - you get the idea!

Anonymous said...

Whoohoo! Glad to hear that your peanut is growing and gaining weight. We keep thinking about you both and sending our best wishes.

Cheers,

Dian

Anonymous said...

Great news! Thanks for the update. Sending positive thoughts and good wishes your way! - Josephine

Unknown said...

Krembs-Whitehead super team,

I am so glad to read all the positive
news on your blog.
As a good supportive friend, I am also
eating for two these days.

You might not always see me but I am
there with you at all times. :)

Love
Dr J.

Anonymous said...

Is there a relationship between the Ronald McDonald house and putting on 10% of bodyweight per week? She will be 39 kilos by Thanksgiving. Take K off the ice cream NOW.
Thinking of all of you
Love T&S

Wyndi said...

yeah! we are so happy to hear she is growing and getting bigger! we will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers wyndi and izzy

P said...

Great news! I'm so happy to hear that. I send you a positive thought every day and will keep doing it.
I'm sure she will grow into a strong samba-girl, if she keeps going like this she will be dancing her way out :-D

-Pernille

P said...

Great news! I'm so happy to hear that. I send you a positive thought every day and will keep doing it.
I'm sure she will grow into a strong samba-girl, if she keeps going like this she will be dancing her way out :-D

-Pernille