Sophia is recovering well. Christopher and I are taking shifts to sit with her around the clock. She is sometimes reactive and will open her eyes so we try to talk to her and hold her hand. The first night they expected her to be fairly unstable since the surgery was so major and she was on the heart-lung machine so long, but she showed them. She stabilized quickly and many of her stats (e.g. lactic acid and blood gases) have come back to normal. They were able to take her off some of the medications yesterday and also start her on a diuretic. She is very swollen so this will help remove excess fluid. Her heart is still beating on its own, has a good rhythm and conduction signals. She also has good blood flow to all her extremities showing that the arch repair went well. They were considering closing her chest this afternoon but Dr. Hanley wants to wait till tomorrow to avoid any problems compressing her heart. We will post how the chest closure goes tomorrow.
Wednesday, April 4
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
20 comments:
yay! we're all excited to hear this good news.
Nitin (along with Janet and Anya)
Hi,
Sophia is sooooo beautiful. I love the name. I know she is going to come out of this just great.I pray for you guys everyday. I LOVE YOU
meliza
( kenia's cousin )
Hi,
Congratulations to the parents of a beautiful baby girl. WE are all so very glad to hear that everything turned out well, and we wish little Sophia the best in her recovery. We hope to see you all soon.
We are so glad to hear the good news. We are thinking of the three of you and wish Sophia a speedy recovery.
Best,
Nathan, Kate, and Iris
Very good news indeed! It is so wonderful that you can be there right by her side. - Josephine
Dear Sophia, Kenia and Christopher,
very good news! We are glad you can be with her all the time, sure that will help. We are thinking of you so much - wish we could beam some energy! Tuuli's little friend is visiting right now while his mom and dad are off to the hospital for the birth of their second child. Baby-time!
Big hugs, Tuuli, Bodil and Rolf
wow! way to go sophia! keep up all the good work, stay strong! We are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.
I used a soothing cd in the hospital icu and recovery floor and then the same one at home so izzy would have something familiar when she came home to help with the transition from hospital to home.
I'm so glad to hear all is going well. I'm thinking about the three of you every day and sending tons of love. I know she'll heal beautifully with her mom and dad at her side. Go Sophia!!!
Sophia is darling (no surprise there). I am so glad that she is doing well. So, between the stress of the operation and the awe of how beautiful she is, have you remembered to breathe? I know I would have forgotten to breathe long ago and would need to be reminded.
Lisa
Hey Kenia,
God bless your family and especially your baby. Congratulations for being a such strong mom and woman!
Vanessa.
Sophia is beautiful! And with lovely light-olive skin, and even well-muscled little arms - she looks very comfortably filled out, not underweight at all. Along with all the heartfelt wishes flowing towards her, I am sure that Sophia herself is determined to thrive; like her parents, she has a strong, tenacious spirit. She is small but estimable: "Thou, whose exterior visage doth belie thy soul's immensity..." (Wordsworth) You are taking very tender, constant care of her; she feels and knows this; and I'm very sure that we will all get to know to know her as a healthy, happy baby. Warmest wishes, June
Muchas felicidades a ustedes a ti Kenia y Christopher!!! Su bebe es muy bonita y ademas tiene un bello nombre, sigan adelante!!!! Congratulations!!!
Matt and I have been thinking and praying for you guys and Sophia. I'm glad to hear she's recovering well. Keep up the good work!
xo
Amy
Kenia and Christopher! I just got back into the country after 10 days visiting family in England so I just got the news and all the updates. She is such a gorgeous little thing and I am overjoyed for you all. Thanks so much for keeping us all informed on her progress and we can't wait to meet her this summer!!
Ihr lieben D R E I !
Alle Kraft der Welt für die kleine Sophia - und Euch!
Wir sind sehr erleichtert hier gute Nachrichten lesen zu dürfen.
Alles Liebe - Elias, Gaby und Niels
Just thinking of you and hoping that everything is moving in the right direction. Take care. - Josephine
I am just getting caught up on the last week's developments - wow, what a major surgery but it sounds like things are ok???? WHEW....... so far so good! What a tough little kid to come through all that so well.
She is so pretty! (and I am not really a baby person so I wouldn't say it if it weren't true!)
Hang in there, get some sleep, know we're all thinking of you.
love & best wishes to all of you
Kathleen
dear kenia, sophia luz y christopher:
we've been thinking of you lots & following your great progress closely. now we're keeping fingers, toes, arms and legs crossed as you continue down the path to luz, felicidad y sabiduria and wish you all the best, angela & hajo.
OMG you have yourselves a gorgeous little girl there! Shannon (Wren's mommy) sent me your way because I also have a baby who had the switch done soon after his birth. It sounds like everything went smoothly and that she is recovering like a trooper! You are some lucky, lucky parents to have such a beauty and such a fighter!
I love her name too :)
Post a Comment