Dr. Hanley just finished talking to us. He said that the surgery was major but went well. They were able to do the arterial switch and patch the VSD. Fixing the coarctation in the aorta was much more difficult than anticipated and they had to put a patch in along the entire aortic arch. Besides this, they removed some sub-aortic conus muscle, removed the PDA and fixed a small hole between the atriums. Overall, everything looks good and he said Sophia has a good strong heart muscle. The next few days will be critical - she will need to stabilize and some of the swelling will have to go down. She will likely stay on a ventilator for the next week and will be kept heavily sedated the entire time.
Christopher and I can both honestly say this has been the hardest and longest day of our lives. We thank all of you who have been sending your thoughts and prayers to us. We hope to finally put a long posting about how the last few days have gone that is more detailed, in the mean times, we (or one of Kenia's sisters) will continue to post a daily update on how Sophia is recovering.
Monday, April 2
surgery went well
Posted by
guandule
at
6:04 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
we will continue to pray for a fast uneventful recovery and continued strength for you all. wyndi steven and izabell
We are soo happy for the three of you. And thanks for posting these sweet pictures of her.
All the best from Fairbanks
BoRoTu
I am so pleased Dr Hanley feels it was a success. Wren had a subclavian flap repair for his coarc and arch... did he tell you why it was more difficult? Was it more extensive? Arch narrower or what?
I hope at least one of you can get some rest tonight knowing Sophia will be closely watched.
Shannon
Sophia looks and sounds like a strong little girl. We are sending our prayers and positive thoughts for a smooth week ahead as she gains strength in her recovery. Please let us know if there is anything that we can do for you. Thanks for taking the time to update. Hugs to all of you. - Josephine
Kenia, Sophia, Christopher
The news made me happy.
All the best for the next week and I hope Sophia recovers well and you get some sleep.
A big smile for all of you,
klaus
Dear Kenia, hallo Christopher!
What a sweet little girl. I was not sure, if Kenia's genes will be able to dominate over Christopher's. Good thing - I guess, they did.
Hoping that Sophia will run on Christopfer's Hafflinger-genes now and recover soon.
All the best from Kiel,
Kirsten
We are wishing little Sofia a smooth recovery - what a trooper! Nathan and I are thinking of you often.
-Kate and Nathan
Janet, Anya and I are really glad that the surgery went well. Everyone in the Baliga group sends their best wishes and we are all rooting for an eventless recovery.
Nitin
I am thrilled that the surgery went well. Sophia is a such a strong little girl. And thank you for taking the time to keep us all updated on how she (and you two) are doing.
Best,
Dian
She's so BEAUTIFUL! What a blessing she was such a healthy weight going into surgery. I know the ventilator is hard to deal with but very soon you will be snuggling her again.
All our love,
Jen
So glad to hear that the surgery went well. Still sending you very good thoughts, especially over the next couple days. She is adorable (as to be expected). Susan
I am so happy to get your news. Your longest day is over and you can all rest and recover. Sophia looks so sweet. I can't wait to meet her.
hugs and kisses to all three of you,
Anitra
Lisette & I are so happy to hear that the surgery went well and are praying hard for her complete and speedy recovery. We are holding you in our hearts, and are happy to know you have so much love and support right now. Sophia is so beautiful, wise & full of light! We can't wait to meet her.
Kenia, keep taking good care of yourself.... and Christopher- hang in there buddy!
Thanks for the news. Many positive
thoughts from Seattle, Rebecca
Post a Comment